Friday, April 12, 2013

We Love iPads!

Like I have said before, my first grade students are LOVING our new iPads! Storia is an app that we have just recently started to use. I am currently using this app in my listening center. Before, we had to purchase listening sets of at least 4 books and the book on cd. Lets face it, these books are put through it and cleaning those big head sets gets really old. After being passed around between three first grade classes pages begin to fall out, and you can only staple/tape them up so many times. The storia app allows us to purchase ebooks on the ipads instead! The kids really enjoy listening at their own pace and the best part...no pages are falling out! Our students use their own personal set of earbuds when using the iPads. I have posted a video about Storia below.
Storia Video

Here is a link to a blog post that has a few pros and cons on using iPads in the classroom. I can't get enough of the iPads. There are so many ways to use them. We have only had them for a few months so I am super excited to find even more ways to use them.
Pros and Cons

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I think that is fantastic that you have iPads in your classroom. I feel that there are so many students that don't get to use this kind of technology because of the limited funds. Although it is a large sum of money upfront, it can however if you used appropriately save you lots of one. You pointed out that you use them in your listening center and instead of buying the listening Cd's you use the iPad. This is the wonderful part about this technology. It can also alleviate the chance of having a book aging with papers falling out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storia makes perfect sense for multiple students. I will check that out for my "someday" librarian job ;). I'm sure the kids love using the ipads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not discovered Storia yet...thank you for introducing us:) I love iPads too. I work at a Title 1 school and we do not have the funds to purchase iPads for our schools, but I have bought 4 iPads for my classroom and I use them in small group for intervention. I feel the pros outweigh the cons for using iPads. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete